Welcome to the Faculty Recruitment ToolKit
Human Resource Services (HRS) assists the Office of the Provost in administering faculty recruitment and hiring processes.
Key offices and contacts for Faculty recruitment are as follows:
This office has overall university responsibility for recruitment, search and selection processes for faculty. All faculty positions and appointments system-wide, including tenure and tenure-track, require final approval from this office.
HRS provides guidance and advice to Appointing Authorities, department administrators, and search committees on recruitment and hiring policies, processes and regulations. Additionally, HRS administers and trains users on the Online Position Description & Recruitment System (OPDRS).
The HR Consultant for each area/college is available to assist with appropriate recruitment and hiring processes, as well as, the use of OPDRS. Requests for area or college specific trainings may be directed to the HR Service Team members linked below.
The Global Services unit of International Programs assists in the review of advertising information for tenure-track faculty positions to ensure compliance with the United State Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requirements.
Office for Equal Opportunity
Ensures EEO/AA compliance for the university. Additionally, the OEO is responsible for investigating complaints of discrimination or retaliation. The OEO provides guidance and training on employment laws, affirmative action, equal employment opportunity and discrimination.
Seeks to develop an inclusive research institution whose faculty are supported by a system that promotes career-long excellence for all—irrespective of gender. ADVANCE focuses on work/life transition points—especially those that disproportionately impact women—and any obstacles to recruiting, hiring, retaining, and advancing an exceptional, diverse faculty.
Overview of Process
HRS has created the following tools to assist search committees through the faculty recruitment process. Contact your area/college's HRC should you require additional assistance.
Policies and Guidelines
WSU policies and guidelines applicable to the faculty recruitment process are linked below.
- OPDRS | The Office of the Provost requires use of the WSUJobs Online Position Description & Recruitment System (OPDRS) to recruit and fill tenure-track and tenure positions. It is recommended that all other faculty positions go through the online system whenever possible.
- Faculty Outreach and Advertising | Includes diversity recruitment resources
- Background Check Program | Information for hiring managers and search committees
- Letters | The most up-to-date offer letter templates can be found here
- New Hire Onboarding | Benefits, orientation and other information for the new hire
Samples and Templates