State of Washington Governor’s Proclamation 21-14.2 and subsequent revisions mandate all WSU employees, regardless of work location, to be fully vaccinated, or obtain a medical or religious exemption as a condition of employment. Employees are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving their final dose in a vaccine series.
New Hires: Fully vaccinated status must be verified or a medical/religious exemption and accommodation must be established prior to first day or work, regardless of work location.
Employee Verification Process
All WSU employees, including faculty, administrative professionals, classified staff, temporary hourly (both student and non-student), and graduate assistants, regardless of work location must verify their vaccination status in Workday.
- Volunteers and contractors: see information on the WSU COVID-19 Recovery Guidance page.
- WSU students: Cougar Health Services is accepting vaccination records/exemptions for all WSU students, from all campus locations
New Hires through Workday Recruit
- When the offer letter is sent to the candidate in Workday, the HR Partner receives a “To Do” to contact the candidate to either provide visual proof of full vaccination status or refer the new hire to HRS if requesting religious/medical exemption.
- Vaccination verification or religious/medical exemption approval must occur prior or to the first day of work.
- After confirming vaccination status or an exemption and accommodation is established, the HR Partner must review the proposed start date and adjust as needed based on the date the candidate is eligible to start, by renegotiating the offer prior to completing the Workday recruiting process.
- Upon completion of the Workday Recruit and Hire, the new hire must complete the Workday COVID-19 Vaccination Verification Request to record vaccination status for auditing/reporting purposes. Steps are outlined in the COVID-19 Vaccination Verification for Workers Guidelines
Following offer of employment, view the CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card or other acceptable supporting COVID-19 vaccination documentation and complete the verification in Workday. The vaccination record card may be viewed in an individual one-on-one setting via Zoom or Teams. Do not view vaccination documentation in group settings.
Steps are outlined in the COVID-19 Vaccination Confirmation for Managers Guidelines
Acceptable Vaccination Documentation
- CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card or photo of the card;
- Documentation of vaccination from a health care provider or electronic health record;
- State immunization information system record; or
- For an individual who was vaccinated outside of the United States, a reasonable equivalent of any of the above.
You must examine the documentation your employee presents and if the document reasonably appears to be genuine and to relate to the individual, you may accept the document. However, if the employee provides a document that does not reasonably appear to be genuine and relate to them, you must reject that document and ask for other documents that satisfy the vaccination verification requirement.
If an employee received one of the FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccines, Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson and Johnson, in another state or country, they are in compliance with the proclamation. If you have employees participating in approved clinical trials or who have been fully vaccinated with a WHO approved vaccine, please contact HRS.
- New hires are not to provide copies of their vaccination cards or other supporting vaccination documentation to their supervisors /manager/departments
- Do not upload copies of vaccination cards or other supporting vaccination documentation to Workday
- Do not request nor take copies of employees COVID-19 vaccination record cards or other supporting vaccination documentation.
- Do not use, share or disclose this information for any purpose other than upholding compliance with state regulations
- Employees are not to ask co-workers or students about their vaccination status outside of as required through the vaccination verification process
COVID-19 Vaccination Exemptions
Exemptions may be allowed for sincerely held religious beliefs and documented medical reasons. Supporting medical or religious exemption documentation is not to be attached in the Workday request. It is to be submitted to HRS separately, outside of Workday as detailed below.
Steps are outlined in the COVID-19 Vaccination Verification for Workers Guidelines
COVID-19 Vaccination Exemption Request Forms
|Medical Exemption Request Form||Completed forms may be sent to email@example.com or by fax to: 509-335-1259|
|Religious Exemption Request Form||Completed forms may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to: 509-335-1259|