Human Resource Services has complied this information to assist faculty and staff who have separated from Washington State University. If you have questions please contact HRS.

Quick Links

Policies by Employee Type:

Separation FAQs:

Employee Departure Procedures

Faculty and Staff will receive an invitation to complete an Exit Survey within one month following their separation date. Please note: because instructors and temporary faculty are often renewed HRS typically will not send the Exit Survey to those individuals.

Procedures when an individual separates from the university:

Payment Upon Separation of Employment:

See BPPM 55.49, Payment Upon Separation of Employment, for the university’s policy on payment to WSU employees upon separation, such as compensatory time, annual leave, sick leave, etc.

Note: If your appointment is eligible for annual leave payout, HRS will process the leave payout after leave/time reports are received from your department and audited. For additional information contact HRS at 509-335-4521 or

Payroll Services

Payroll Services has prepared a list of payroll tips and reminders for employees about to leave the university.

Unemployment Compensation

Visit the Washington State Employment Security Department website for information on how to apply for unemployment benefits.