As Vice President & Chief Human Resource Officer, Theresa’s responsibilities for the WSU system include:
- Leading, directing, and facilitating a comprehensive human resources program for the WSU system;
- Building human resource strategies along the employee life cycle from recruitment to succession planning;
- Developing a compensation structure for administrative professional staff;
- Fostering working relationships with other higher education human resource departments, state agencies, and the regulatory agencies that oversee classified employment and labor relations.
- Developing and implementing policies, procedures, and programs consistent with the strategic plan that support the University’s land grant mission; and functioning as the University’s Personnel Officer.
Comprehensive human resource programs for the WSU system include:
Employment Services, includes classification/compensation, recruitment, and employee relations. Employment Services (ES) is responsible for providing consultation and guidance to executive leadership, managers, supervisors, and employees in compliance with applicable laws, policies, rules, regulations, and procedures. ES assists colleges/areas in strategic planning in key HR areas, as well as oversees the WSU Employee Engagement and Exit Survey programs.
Benefit Services is responsible for implementing and overseeing a host of system-wide benefits related programs and services including benefits and retirement administration. Serves as primary contact to the Health Care Authority (HCA), Department of Retirement Systems (DRS), TIAA and the various benefit vendors. Responsible for ensuring WSU benefits and retirement programs are in compliance with state and federal regulations, including the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and 403b programs.
Administration, Employee Records and Compliance is responsible for providing system-wide administration of personnel information for administrative professional, classified, faculty, temporary/hourly, and graduate students. Ensures compliance with state and federal laws including I-9 processing. Responsible for the WSU Employee Recognition Programs including length of service awards, Crimson Spirit, the annual Quarter Century Club breakfast, and annual Employee Recognition Reception.
Labor Relations is responsible for the negotiation and administration of WSU’s Collective Bargaining Agreements and providing labor relations services to executive leadership, managers, supervisors, and employees. The unit manages the relationship between WSU bargaining units and associated Unions. The unit is responsible for ensuring program compliance with state and federal labor relations laws and rules.
Disability Services is responsible for overseeing and providing a host of system-wide disability and leave related programs and services including medical and shared leaves, long-term disability claims, reasonable accommodation, workers’ compensation and mandated drug and alcohol testing. The unit is responsible for ensuring program compliance with state and federal laws and rules for associated programs.
Learning and Organizational Development offers hundreds of in person and live virtual training sessions as well as on-demand online customized learning content for employees University wide. This unit manages a Learning Management System that provides 24×7 access to over 3,000 online courses and more than 25,000 online books and publications.
The WSU Modernization Initiative will streamline university functions through the implementation of enterprise software for human resources, payroll, and finance. Core Human Resource functions include: absence management, benefits administration, compensation, position description and recruitment management, position management, and time and leave administration.
Human Resource Services provides services and support to the university system through the
following software programs/tools:
- Workday: HR processes and employee life cycle events as well as Benefits,
- Compensation, Recruitment, Time Tracking and Absence administration.
- People Admin: Position description system
- Skillsoft: Learning Management system
- HireRight: Background checks
- Lookout Services: I-9 system
- Bi-annual Employee Engagement Survey
- Employee Exit Survey
- Recruitment outreach tools
Updated October 2020