When your appointment is . . .
- at least 50% Full Time Equivalency, and
- for more than six consecutive months.
Coverage starts . . .
On the first day of the month following the date of employment, unless the appointment begins on the first working day of the month, in which case eligibility/benefits will begin on that date.
- If your appointment begins on August 16, 2012 – your benefits would begin the first of the month following the date of employment, therefore your benefits would begin on September 1, 2012.
- If your appointment begins on September 4, 2012 – this is the first working day of the month, therefore your benefits would begin on September 4, 2012.
Coverage continues if . . .
- a 50% or greater appointment in an eligible job classification is maintained, and
- the employee is in paid status for eight hours or more in each month*.
*Exception: benefits can be continued during periods of full Leave Without Pay during Family Medical Leave provided the employee pays their portion of the premiums.
Note: Eight hour rule. HCA/PEBB states that if an employee is in paid status for eight hours a month, they are eligible for maintaining benefits. HRS/WSU must determine how that eight hours of pay is arrived at. Employees/departments cannot arbitrarily plug in eight hours of leave a month to maintain benefits – the use of leave must be in compliance with state and university leave rules.
Summer/Off-Season Benefit Eligibility
Employees on nine month or more appointments are eligible for benefits during the summer/off-season.
Employees on less than nine month appointments are not eligible for benefits during the summer/off-season.