Washington State Department of Enterprise ServicesEAP

The Washington State Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides confidential counseling and referral services to WSU faculty, administrative professional, and classified staff. Employees can  self-refer or may be directed to the EAP by a supervisor or manager. Employees may use release time to utilize EAP services. EAP is not intended to be a long-term counseling service (see BPPM 60.86), but rather to provide initial assessment, consultation, and referral. EAP services typically will not be more than three sessions per specific individual concern. If additional counseling is needed, EAP will refer employees to a local provider, whose service will be covered by their insurance plans. (Employees are responsible to ensure the local provider is part of their insurance plan’s provider network.)

The EAP assists in identifying, managing, and resolving personal and work-related issues that may affect job performance or quality of life issues. The EAP provides counseling, education, and consultation services to improve job performance, worker health, and the wellbeing of the employee. Issues which may be directed to the EAP include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Anger management
  • Anxiety
  • Conflicts at work
  • Depression
  • Domestic Violence
  • Emotional and/or psychological issues
  • Financial
  • Grief and loss
  • Job performance
  • Parenting issues
  • Relationship and family concerns
  • Stress
  • Substance Abuse

In addition to individual services, the EAP provides crisis counseling for groups of employees who suffer from a shared workplace crisis such as death/illness of a colleague, inappropriate workplace behavior, or any circumstance that may adversely affect the working group.

The EAP also offers free legal consultation and financial counseling services, as well as a comprehensive work-life website that includes resources, articles, webinars and e-learnings, financial calculators, legal documents, and self-search provider databases for eldercare, childcare, and more. Employees can access all of these services any time by visiting the web portal (contact HRS for the Organization code at hrs@wsu.edu or 509-335-4521). A legal or financial counselor can also be reached any time by calling 1-888-728-1408.