Your First Day
Your First Day at Washington State University!
Welcome to Washington State University! Below are resources to access on your first day, including registering for New Employee Orientation.
Deadlines and Requirements
- Set up for your WSU network ID (NID). You will receive an invitation to set up your WSU NID and MFA preferences. Your WSU NID gives you access to the MyWSU portal, wireless networks, WSU email, Workday, WSU online learning, and other systems.
- Register for New Employee Orientation. This two-part workshop includes important employment and benefits information. All employees must complete new employee orientation within their first 30 days to meet benefits selection deadlines.
- Complete paperwork:
- Complete the I-9 Form (don’t forget the necessary form(s) of ID).
- In Workday, submit your W-4 and state tax forms.
- In Workday, set up your direct deposit.
- Self service in Workday
- Get your CougarCard. The CougarCard is your official University ID card and is needed for building access. For those unable to obtain their CougarCard in person from one of our campuses, please order your card online.
Connect With Your Department
- Leading up to your first day, learn about your department’s expectations by contacting the supervisor who hired you or your Human Resources representative. Some questions you could ask:
- What is the preferred attire in the area or department?
- Will I have a schedule for my first days, for things like meetings and required trainings?
- Should I bring any paperwork or other documents with me on my first day?
- Connect with your supervisor during your first week to learn more about the responsibilities, challenges, and expectations of your position. Ask questions such as:
- What trainings are required for my new position? How soon do I need to complete them? (Find information on training time and policies on the LOD website.)
- Which policies should I become familiar with in my first weeks?
- What projects will I be working on to start with?
Get to Know WSU
- Learn about parking and getting around at your WSU campus location.
- Review WSU’s benefits offerings.
- Find out about leave options and disability accommodations available to WSU employees.
- Learn about parent and caregiver resources at WSU.
- Find out the dates of WSU holidays.
- Learn about how WSU integrates principles of fairness and equality into all University activities and practices.
- Find pay dates, direct deposit information, and more on the payroll services website.