Health Care Reform
Employer Notification (including Employer Plan Information documents)
This notice specifically addresses the requirements of the ACA Employer Notification, but will also provide links to additional information individuals and their families may find helpful. This notice serves as a household employer notification and our employees should provide it to their household members as well.
This notice was provided to all existing employees as of September, 2013 and will be provided to all future employees starting October 1, 2013.
Employer Notification – faculty, staff, graduate student assistants, non-student and student hourly employees.
- Creates the health insurance marketplace.
- Requires coverage of pre-existing conditions.
- Helps you understand the coverage your getting.
- Holds insurance companies accountable for rate increases.
- Protects people from insurance companies arbitrarily cancelling coverage.
- Allows parents to cover young adults to age 26.
- Provides free preventive care.
- Ends lifetime and yearly dollar limits on coverage of essential benefits.
- Guarantees your right to appeal.
- Protects you from employer retaliation.
The Requirement to Buy Health Insurance under the ACA
Along with changes to the health insurance system, the Affordable Care Act includes a requirement that many people be insured or pay a penalty. This is sometimes known as the “individual mandate”. The flowchart below illustrates how this requirement works.
The Health Insurance Marketplace
Under the ACA, a Marketplace is available to shop for and compare medical insurance options. Some states have created their own Marketplaces and other states are using the federal Marketplace. The Marketplace also assists individuals and families in determining if they qualify for premium tax credits or other financial assistance, thus giving them the confidence to choose the plan that best fits their needs and budget. Individuals who are not eligible for coverage through their employer will benefit the most from this program and its services.
Each Marketplace will offer:
- Apples-to-apples comparisons of health insurance plans
- Financial help to pay for premiums for those who qualify
- Expert customer support online, by phone, or in-person through a local organization, insurance broker or agent
You will utilize the above referenced “Plan Information” document for assistance in applying for coverage in the marketplace.