Staff Recruitment ToolKit
Staff Recruitment Process
Human Resource Services has created the following tools, broken into five distinct phases to provide assistance and guidance for the recruitment and hiring of Administrative Professional (AP) and Classified Staff (CS) positions.
The HR Service Team for each area/college is available to assist with appropriate recruitment and hiring processes as well as the use of Workday Recruit.
Staff Recruitment Checklist: Search committee roles and responsibilities checklist.
Phase 1: Prepare
Familiarize yourself with WSU’s recruitment process and policies or refresh your search knowledge:
- WSU custom online training: Staff Recruitment Basics (WSU login required)
- Refer to Staff Recruitment Checklist above
- Search Committee Guide: Detailed roles and responsibilities guide
- Recruitment Planning Template: Step by step guide for developing a recruitment strategy
- Refer to HERC Virtual Recruitment Toolkit (Member login required) -All WSU employees can create an account under institutional membership.
- Access Workday
- Recruitment for Administrative Professional Positions (BPPM 60.17)
- Recruitment for Classified Positions (BPPM 60.18)
- Pre-Employment Inquiry Guidelines (BPPM 60.08)
- Candidate Guest Guidelines: Details on inviting guests (spouse, partner, etc.) to on-campus interviews
- Implicit Association Test: IATs (Implicit Association Tests) are tools to demonstrate and examine conscious and unconscious divergences related to attitudes and beliefs about race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, disability, and other social categories. Reviewing Applicants: Research on Bias and Assumptions (provided by WISEL)
Prepare and organize your evaluation tools:
- Sample evaluation document: Evaluation Ranking Matrix
- Sample evaluation document to use during campus visits, small groups, or other meetings: Feedback Form
- Sample evaluation document to use open forums: Evaluation Form
Phase 2: Advertise & Outreach
Develop and execute your outreach strategy to attract a diverse pool of qualified applicants:
- Sample advertisements and diversity recruitment resources: Staff Outreach and Advertising
- Talent acquisiton insights via LinkedIn: 2020 Global Recruiting Trends
- Suggestions by Beamery to help build and scale a complete recruitment marketing strategy: The Definitive Guide to Recruitment Marketing
- Outreach Tools: Advertising resources, social media tools, and talent pool databases for Faculty and Staff positions
- Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Policy, EPM 12
- Refer to Workday Recruiting Guide: Create, Edit, and Close Job Requisition
Phase 3: Screen & Interview
- Use these tools to conduct an interview that positively promotes employment opportunities at WSU: Refer to Workday Recruiting Guide: Manage Job Application
- Applicant Evaluation: Staff Not Hired Reasons | available status updates in Workday Recruit
- Candidate Experience: Recommended resources and samples to help create a positive candidate experience.
- Interview: Interview Checklist | a guide for the search committee
- Interview: Sample Interview Questions | tips for interviewers and sample interview questions
- Candidate Screening Guide via LinkedIn Talent Solutions
- On-Campus Interviews: Guest Guidelines
- Applicant Notification: Unsuccessful Candidate After Initial Evaluation (Sample letter)
- Applicant Notification: Unsuccessful Candidate After Screening Interview (Sample letter)
- Applicant Notification: Unsuccessful Candidate After Campus Interview (Sample letter)
Phase 4: Perform Reference & Background Checks
Take a deep dive into the candidate’s background by performing reference and background checks:
- Reference Check Form (Sample document)
- Best Practice Tips for conducting references via email
- Review the WSU policy on Background Checks (BPPM 60.16)
- Background Check Program: Information for hiring managers and search committees.
- Prior to an offer of employment, WSU must comply with RCW 28B.112.080 in regards to Sexual Misconduct. To comply with this law, hiring departments may not make an offer of employment until approved by HRS.
- Offer Letters are Generated in the Workday system
Phase 5: Hire & Onboard
- Refer to: Workday Staffing Guide: New Hire Onboarding (Employee and Contingent Worker)
- Search Documents Retention: Overview of required documentation
- University Records – Retention and Disposition (BPPM 90.01)
- New Hire Onboarding: Benefits, orientation, and other information for the new hire
- Refer to HERC Retention Resources (Member login required) -All WSU employees can create an account under institutional membership.