Staff Recruitment Process
Human Resource Services has created the following tools, broken into five distinct phases to provide assistance and guidance for the recruitment and hiring of Administrative Professional (AP) and Classified Staff (CS) positions.
Staff Recruitment Checklist: Search committee roles and responsibilities checklist
Phase 1: Prepare
Familiarize yourself with WSU’s recruitment process and policies or refresh your search knowledge:
- WSU custom online training: Staff Recruitment Basics (WSU login required)
- Refer to Staff Recruitment Checklist above
- Search Committee Guide: Detailed roles and responsibilities guide
- Recruitment Planning Template: Step by step guide for developing a recruitment strategy
- Refer to HERC Virtual Recruitment Toolkit (Member login required) -All WSU employees can create an account under institutional membership.
- Access Workday
- Recruitment for Administrative Professional Positions (BPPM 60.17)
- Recruitment for Classified Positions (BPPM 60.18)
- Pre-Employment Inquiry Guidelines (BPPM 60.08)
- Candidate Guest Guidelines: Details on inviting guests (spouse, partner, etc.) to on-campus interviews
- Implicit Association Test: IATs (Implicit Association Tests) are tools to demonstrate and examine conscious and unconscious divergences related to attitudes and beliefs about race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, disability, and other social categories. Reviewing Applicants: Research on Bias and Assumptions (provided by WISEL)
Prepare and organize your evaluation tools:
Phase 2: Advertise & Outreach
Develop and execute your outreach strategy to attract a diverse pool of qualified applicants:
- Sample advertisements and diversity recruitment resources: Staff Outreach and Advertising
- All requisitions posted through Workday must include the following:
- In accordance with Washington State Governor’s Proclamation 21-14.1, as a condition of employment, all WSU employees must be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical/religious accommodation no later than October 18, 2021. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving their last shot in a vaccine series. Vaccine or an approved accommodation for new employees will be verified no later than October 18, 2021. If the effective date of appointment is October 18, 2021 or later vaccine or approved accommodation status will be verified prior to first day of employment. Please reach out to Human Resource Services (HRS) at email@example.com or 509-335-4521 if you have questions regarding this.
- Talent acquisiton insights via LinkedIn: 2020 Global Recruiting Trends
- Suggestions by Beamery to help build and scale a complete recruitment marketing strategy: The Definitive Guide to Recruitment Marketing
- Outreach Tools: Advertising resources, social media tools, and talent pool databases for Faculty and Staff positions
- Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Policy, EPM 12
- Refer to Workday Recruiting Guide: Create, Edit, and Close Job Requisition
Phase 3: Screen & Interview
Use these tools to conduct an interview that positively promotes employment opportunities at WSU: Refer to Workday Recruiting Guide: Manage Job Application
Candidate Experience: Recommended resources and samples to help create a positive candidate experience.
Interview: Interview Checklist | a guide for the search committee
Interview: Sample Interview Questions | tips for interviewers and sample interview questions
During the interview, provide the following statement related to the COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement:
As a condition of employment, all WSU employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical/religious accommodation prior to starting work for Washington State University.People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving their final dose in a vaccine series. Vaccine or an approved accommodation will be verified prior to first day of work.
Candidate Screening Guide via LinkedIn Talent Solutions
On-Campus Interviews: Guest Guidelines
Applicant Notification: Unsuccessful Candidate After Initial Evaluation (Sample letter)
Applicant Notification: Unsuccessful Candidate After Screening Interview (Sample letter)
Applicant Notification: Unsuccessful Candidate After Campus Interview (Sample letter)
Phase 4: Perform Reference & Background Checks
Take a deep dive into the candidate’s background by performing reference and background checks:
- Reference Check Form (Sample document)
- Best Practice Tips for conducting references via email
- Review the WSU policy on Background Checks (BPPM 60.16)
- Background Check Program: Information for hiring managers and search committees.
- Prior to an offer of employment, WSU must comply with RCW 28B.112.080 in regards to Sexual Misconduct. To comply with this law, hiring departments may not make an offer of employment until approved by HRS.
- Offer Letters are Generated in the Workday system
Phase 5: Hire & Onboard
- Refer to: Workday Staffing Guide: New Hire Onboarding (Employee and Contingent Worker)
- Search Documents Retention: Overview of required documentation
- University Records – Retention and Disposition (BPPM 90.01)
- New Hire Onboarding: Benefits, orientation, and other information for the new hire
- All Offer Letters will include the following statement under the I9 information:
- In accordance with Washington State Governor’s Proclamation 21.14.2, as a condition of employment, you must be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical/religious accommodation by time of hire. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving their last shot in a vaccine series. Vaccine or an approved accommodation will be verified prior to your first day of work. Should you not be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical/religious accommodation you will not be able to start employment with WSU. Information regarding vaccine verification and/or requesting a medical/religious information is available at https://hrs.wsu.edu/covid-19/vax-verification/. Please contact HRS at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-335-4521 if you have questions.
- Refer to HERC Retention Resources (Member login required) -All WSU employees can create an account under institutional membership.