Your First 30 Days
Your First 30 Days at Washington State University
There’s a lot to do! Stay in the know about important deadlines and requirements, connect with your department, and join the Coug Community!
Deadlines and Requirements
- Attend New Employee Orientation within your first 30 days to meet benefits selection deadlines.
- Make sure to finish benefits selections in Workday within the election window to receive preferred coverage. If no election is submitted, employees are default enrolled into medical and dental insurance, employee only coverage, with a tobacco surcharge. Most benefits elections must be made in your first 31 days.
- Plan to complete the Discrimination, Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct Prevention (DSHP) online training if you have not already. All WSU faculty and staff must complete the DSHP course within the first six months of hire.
Connect With Your Department
- Review your position description with your supervisor to clarify roles and expectations.
- Learn about your new job and the WSU community. Meet your new coworkers and other people in areas and departments you will interact with on a regular basis.
- Review your area or department within the WSU organizational chart.
- Learn about the performance management process and employee recognition programs and review the annual performance review process.
Get to Know WSU, and be part of the Coug Community
- Explore learning opportunities and career path development with personalized recommendations in Percipio, WSU’s online learning platform.
- Review the employee policies for your position, including information on classification, compensation, disciplinary action, review, and evaluation.
- Learn about how WSU integrates principles of fairness and equality into all University activities and practices.
- Refer to the Office of Internal Audit for information on the appropriate use of state resources.
- Learn about public records handling on the Public Records website.
- Sign up for emergency notification alerts and access other safety resources.