The annual open enrollment period runs November 1-30 with an effective date of January 1, 2024 for all changes. All changes are made through Workday.

OE is the one time each year when you can:

  • Change your medical or dental plan
  • Add or remove dependents from coverage
  • Enroll or re-enroll in Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA)/Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP) for the next year, and
  • Re-attest to the spousal surcharge questionnaire.

Medical Premium Rates

Plan NameEmployee Only

2023 / 2024
Employee & Spouse / Partner
2023 / 2024
Employee & Child(ren)

2023 / 2024
Employee, Spouse, & Child(ren)
2023 / 2024
Kaiser WA Classic$167 / $226$344 / $452$292 / $396$469 / $622
Kaiser WA Value$94 / $211$198 / $422$165 / $369$269 / $580
Kaiser WA SoundChoice$46 / $69$102 / $138$81 / $121$137 / $190
Kaiser WA CDHP$25 / $26$60 / $52$44 / $46$79 / $72
UMP Classic$135 / $124$280 / $248$236 / $217$381 / $341
UMP Plus$97 / $109$204 / $218$170 / $191$277 / $300
UMP Select$59 / $59$128 / $118$103 / $103$172 / $162
UMP CDHP$29 / $35$68 / $70$51 / $61$90 / $96
Kaiser NW Classic$172 / $331$354 / $662$301 / $579$483 / $910
Kaiser NW CDHP$25 / $195$60 / $390$44 / $341$79 / $536

Back to top


Open Enrollment presentation info will be added here as it becomes available.

Back to top

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make the changes to my medical and/or dental plans in Workday?

On November 1, you will receive an Open Enrollment benefits change item in your Workday inbox. You can open each individual coverage type/tile (medical, dental, etc.) and select from the list of plans. Step by step instructions can be found at the JIRA knowledge base.

How can I verify which plan I am currently enrolled in?

In Workday, click on the Benefits & Pay application. Expand Benefits in the left hand column, then select Benefit Elections.

How can I compare coverage between the different medical plans?

PEBB has a medical benefit comparison tool you can use. This currently only displays 2023 information, but 2024 will be added as we get closer to Open Enrollment.

Why are Kaiser medical insurance premiums increasing so much?

Kaiser has stated the premiums went up due to 1) inflation and supply chain disruptions, 2) increased demand for care for services following the lock-down and pandemic, 3) labor shortages for hospital and providers, and 4) provider challenges because of pressure on costs to deliver care.   

What is the amount that WSU pays in addition to what I pay for medical premiums towards my benefits package? 

In 2024, WSU will pay a flat $1145 as the employer contribution for each benefit-eligible employee, to cover the majority of the medical premium, all of the dental premium, and the basic life and long term disability coverage.  The Health Care Authority will then apply the pooled employer contributions to pay towards medical $702 a month for employee only coverage, $1404 for employee and spouse/registered domestic partner coverage, $1228.50 for employee and child(ren) coverage, and $1930.50 towards full family coverage.   

Why is Kaiser NW being disproportionately impacted by rate increases?

WSU does not have the data available to know why Kaiser NW rate increases are significantly greater than other plans.  It is anticipated HCA or Kaiser NW will directly addressing this topic in the open enrollment communications. 

Although WSU Benefits cannot confirm this, it could be assumed the plan rate increases may be due to higher service utilization and claims experience numbers. Additionally plans with smaller enrollments and areas of coverage are often subject to greater premium fluctuations than those with larger enrollments and coverage areas and enrollments; Kaiser NW is limited to the SW portion of Washington, whereas Kaiser WA and Uniform plans cover more of Washington and beyond.

How do the UMP/Regence plans work? 

UMP covers both in- and out-of-network providers and facilities, with the exception of providers that do not accept patients outside of their own plan network.

If you see a preferred healthcare provider, UMP will pay 85% of the allowed amount and you pay the remaining 15%. Non-preferred providers are covered at 60% of the allowed amount, and you will be responsible for the remaining 40% and anything over the allowed amount.

[If you were to go to a Kaiser NW or Kaiser WA facility, they most likely would not see UMP patients.  However, if you do not go to an actual Kaiser facility but see a local doctor who happens to be a Kaiser provider, they most likely are also a UMP preferred provider, or at a minimum would be covered as a non-preferred provider.]

How do I sign up for a primary care provider under the Uniform Plans, and the Kaiser NW and Kaiser WA Plans?  

Under the UMP Classic, CDHP and Select Plan, you do not have to name a primary care provider and are able to see anyone listed as a preferred provider.  The UMP Plus Accountable Care plans require you to reside in an area where those plans are offered and select a provider in the UMP Plus Network; current counties covered at Chelan, Douglas, King, Kitsap, Pierce, Skagit, Snohomish, Spokane, Thurston and Yakima. 

The Kaiser plans require you to designate a primary care provider.  You will not make this election in Workday or via enrollment through WSU, but directly with Kaiser.  If you do not choose a physician, Kaiser will match you with one that you can change at any time. 

How can I find a health care provider in the UMP/Regence network who would be covered as a preferred provider?

Visit the “Find a Doctor” UMP/Regence website.  If you are already a member, log into/sign up for your online account.  If you are not a UMP member, follow the links under “For Guests”.

How can I find a health care provider or participating Kaiser NW or Kaiser WA clinic?

For Kaiser NW, visit the Kaiser NW website, and then click on the Doctors and Locations tab. 

For Kaiser WA, visit the Kaiser WA provider search website.  Remember that all locations have a Kaiser WA Clinic, so you can search by provider service or name.

Is Kaiser WA still available on bordering Idaho counties?

In most of the published documentation, Kaiser WA is not identified a plan available in Idaho.  However, Kaiser WA will allow individuals who live on bordering Idaho counties to elect their plan provided they work in a WA County in which Kaiser WA is offered.  Technically, Kaiser WA is not listed to be available in Idaho, and it is important to be aware that if you see a provider further from a WA covered county, you would find no Kaiser providers.

If I elect to change my medical plan for 2024, will I be required to switch my dental plan as well?

No.  Medical and dental plan elections are separate elections.  It would only be if you wanted to change you dental plan as well, that you would need to submit that as an Open Enrollment change.

How are premium rates negotiated?

WSU’s benefits are part of the state’s Public Employee Benefit package and negotiated at the state level by the Health Care Authority on behalf of all Washington Higher Education Institutions and General Government agencies as a group benefits package. 

When negotiating new benefits a rates, the following are reviewed/considered in the negotiation process: 

  • The submitted bid from the insurance plan to offer the identified benefits for the coming year, with supporting documentation
    • Claims experience review – did the claims go up or down during the current period compared to prior periods
    • Enrollment shifts – did enrollment go up or down during the current period compared to prior periods
    • Projected costs of the insurance usage in the future
    • Underlying medical costs and trends
  • The benefits being offered are unable to be adjusted for the current year, since that benefit structure has already been established and approved by the State.  It could be reviewed/modified in future years, which could have potential impact on the insurance costs. 

See “Why are Kaiser medical insurance premiums increasing so much?” for additional information on why Kaiser submitted a higher premium bid for 2024. 

Back to top


Back to top