Washington State University conducts pre-employment screening on specified positions in order to protect the interests of the university’s students, employees and resources. Pre-employment screening may include but is not limited to a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history. WSU utilizes an online pre-employment screening system which requires a valid email address at the time of application.
If you have additional questions or concerns, contact Human Resource Services at 509-335-4521 or send an email to email@example.com.
PRICING (Effective 1/1/2023)
|Background Check Type:||Base Price:|
|Motor Vehicle Records Check||$9.50|
|National Sex Offender Registry||$10.00|
|International||Costs vary and are dependent on the country or countries the applicant has lived in. Please contact HRS for a price estimate.|
The price listed is the base price. Packages may be combined.
Surcharges may apply. Departments are responsible for the final costs associated with a background check (BPPM 60.16).
Background Check Billing
For background check billing-related questions, please contact (509) 335-3031 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The Admin team within HRS is responsible for billing WSU departments for their requested background checks within Workday.
Beginning in March 2023, (when HRS Admin would typically invoice departments for February requests) we will be switching to a new invoicing process. When a BGC is requested within Workday, you are prompted to provide Cost Center, Fund and Function. This information will be used for Internal Service Deliveries (ISDs) removing the need for emails to be sent each time to request this information from the department.
When requests are made outside of Workday, HRS Admin (email@example.com) will still need to reach out to the department to inquire about budget information if that information has not been provided in advance.
Use the following language in job postings and notice of vacancies.
Washington State University (WSU) conducts pre-employment screening on specified positions, which may include but is not limited to, a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history. WSU utilizes an online system which will require a valid email address at the time of at the time of application.
- This position has been designated by the department to require a background check because it requires access to children or vulnerable adults as defined by RCW 74.34, engages in law enforcement, requires security clearance, interacts with WSU students in a counseling or advising capacity, has access to personal identifying and/or financial information, unsupervised access to university buildings/property, or other business-related need. A background check will not be completed until an initial determination of qualification for employment has been made.
- This position does not require a background check.
Background Check Request
To request a background check, contact the HRS at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- Hiring department
- Finalist(s) name
- Email address
- Resume/Vitae – for Faculty positions only.
- Position title/Position number
- Background package type *If requesting an MVR, please indicate the State in which the driver’s license is held.
- Budget Information: Program, Cost Center, Fund, Function and Region to charge the request to.
A member of the HRS staff will contact you to discuss the process. NOTE: Before initiating a background check, HRS must receive an IRI from the hiring department.