The December 2023 issue of the HR Source newsletter is out now! Get reminders and information from the Benefits unit on Open Enrollment; review updates from the Modernization team; and explore a wealth of learning opportunities.
In the December issue you’ll find more information on the following topics:
President’s Employee Excellence Award Nominations
President’s Employee Excellence Award Nominations are now being accepted for the 2023-24 President’s Employee Excellence Awards. The award is presented annually to recognize outstanding contributions by WSU administrative professionals and classified employees. Staff at all WSU locations are eligible to be nominated for this award. Nominations and supporting materials may be submitted online through Wednesday, December 6, at 7 p.m.
HRS Availability During December Reduced Operations
In observance of University holidays, HRS will be closed Monday and Tuesday, December 25-26, and Monday January 1. HRS will open with limited staffing, Wednesday-Friday, December 27-29. So that you can receive comprehensive assistance, employees are encouraged to forward plan time sensitive or non-urgent personnel concerns prior to December 22, or after the New Year.
Colder temperatures and heavy frost signal the beginning of a new season. Take a few minutes to prepare yourself with suspended operation processes before the challenges of snow, ice and cold are upon us. Information regarding personnel processes during inclement weather and/or suspended operations are available on the Inclement Weather webpage. Employees are encouraged to enroll in campus alerts, as a method of staying informed with the latest developments regarding your campus and conditions:
So that you can plan and prepare for how your campus, area or department will address inclement weather and suspended operations, review the relevant Business Policies and Procedures 50.40, 60.40, 60.56, and 60.57.
The annual Open Enrollment period for faculty and staff ended Thursday, November 30, 2023. If you made changes to your medical/dental plans, dependent coverage, or enrolled/re-enrolled in the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or the Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP) benefits, you will see these changes go into effect January 1, 2024. Pending plan changes can be viewed through the Benefits and Pay App in Workday by clicking Benefits, then Benefits by Date. Changes in premiums or new contribution rates for the FSA and DCAP benefits will first be seen on your January 10, 2024 paycheck.
WellCoug holiday support
WSU WellCoug is here to support you through the holidays! On December 8 at 3 PM, we have added a second session of Self Care for the Holidays to help you prepare for challenges that may come your way through this busy season. We also invite you to join us on December 11 at 3 pm to prepare for success with your New Year’s resolutions. Register to attend through Percipio: Self Care for the Holidays; New Year’s Resolutions Start Here.
The Diabetes Prevention Program powered by Omada is holding a webinar on December 13 titled Stand Up for Your Health. When it comes to preventing type 2 diabetes, how much and how often you move makes all the difference. A health coach from Omada will share how to use your time at home and at work to move more. Register to attend Stand Up for Your Health.
Learning and Organizational Development
Work and Life Balance: December’s featured Watch, Read and Listen
Work-life balance looks different for everyone, but it generally means having a healthy split between time spent on work-related activities and personal activities. This balance allows individuals to enjoy life outside of work, leads to improved happiness, satisfaction, and overall wellbeing.
Here are some questions to help you reflect on your own work-life balance:
- Do I often feel overwhelmed or stressed by my work?
- Am I able to disconnect from work during my personal time?
- Do I have enough time for my hobbies and interests?
- Do I spend quality time with my family and friends regularly?
- Am I able to focus and be productive during my working hours?
To learn more, consider launching one of the recommended featured assets:
- Learn more about the recent system outages. Between October 30 and November 2, major service interruptions to Jira, Confluence, and Workday caused delays in regular business activities. While these events are rare, they provide an opportunity to help us better prepare for potential similar instances that may occur in the future.
- Reminder: Use Your Personal Holiday and Holiday Credit by Dec. 31. Civil Service, Nonpermanent Scheduled, and Nonpermanent Nonscheduled employees who have not used their Personal Holiday, Personal Holiday Credit, or Holiday Credit must do so by December 31, 2023.
- Prepare for January 2024 HR mass actions. In January 2024, HRS will process the following mass actions: Minimum Wage increase effective 1/1/2024 and FLSA changes effective 1/1/2024.
- Employee performance functionality coming to Workday. Beginning in early 2024, Modernization and HRS will implement new employee performance functionality that allows users to complete employee reviews, route them for approval, and deliver reviews to an employee’s personnel file all within Workday.
- New report identifies employees with incomplete onboarding tasks. A new report helps identify individuals with incomplete tasks from their area’s supervisory organizations.
- Calendar Planning & Best Practices resources: We’ve developed resources to help you better plan for the key HCM and finance events in Workday.
- New Paylock Checklist & Resources: Payroll Services and Modernization have developed resources to help departments prepare for payroll cutoff, reducing stress and confusion related to payroll tasks.
- New training resources added to “Workday for…” pages: We’ve recently updated the “Workday for…” series of web pages by adding links to a wide range of Elevating Cougs sessions replays, as well as links to new reference guides.
- A look back at the first Elevating Cougs: On October 19 & 20, nearly 800 WSU staff and faculty joined HRS’ Learning & Organizational Development and Modernization for the first-ever Elevating Cougs conference. We’d like to thank the WSU community for making Elevating Cougs WS’s largest-ever employee development event.