- What is the WSU Online Learning System?
- Why can’t I access my Online Learning Account?
- How do I find upcoming Instructor-Led Training Sessions?
- How do I enroll in Instructor-Led Trainings?
- I’m a new employee, how do I enroll in training?
- Do I need approval to participate in training?
- How do I set up a videoconference connection for a training session if I am not located on the Pullman campus?
- How do I access my training records?
- What is included in my training record?
- How do I print a certificate of completion for a training?
- What is WSU’s policy on release time for training?
- How do I search for online books, courses, or other learning assets?
- How can I learn more about the Online Learning System?
- Tools and Help for Instructors
- As a Supervisor, can I access my employee’s training records?
- As a Supervisor, how can I help my employees create a plan?
Are you having trouble logging in?
Please visit the Configuring Your Browser site to pinpoint specific issues preventing your computer’s ability to access the WSU Online Learning System.
What is the WSU Online Learning System?
The WSU Online Learning System is available to all current WSU employees (including student employees) and is home to over 4,000 interactive online courses, and over 20,000 online books on a variety of topics. Virtual guided tours of the Online Learning System are available on the following topics:
How soon can I access my Online Learning Account?
Only current WSU employees (including student employees) have access:
- New employees are granted system access within one week after their appointments have been fully approved.
- An enabled Network ID/Password is required to access your Online Learning Account. For assistance, visit www.wsu.edu/NID or contact the IT Help Desk at (509) 335-4357.
- Certain computer configurations are required by the training system. Learn specific issues and resolve them through the Browser Capabilities Check.
- If you are still unable to access your account, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
How do I find upcoming Instructor-Led Training sessions?
Human Resource Services collaborates with many WSU departments to provide live training opportunities on WSU system-specific topics. The complete list of trainings available can be found on the HRS training site.
How do I enroll in Instructor-Led Trainings?
It is important to register for each Instructor-Led Training (ILT) session you wish to attend so you can be updated of any changes and receive notifications regarding course material downloads.
- Selecting a course title will direct you to the WSU Online Learning System. (If you are not already logged in you will be prompted to do so.)
- Below the course title and overview, locate the session you would like to attend.
- Choose “Enroll” to the right of the session you select.
- Following the session you selected you will be asked, “You are now enrolled in the above session. Would you like to add this to your learning page?”
- Select “Yes” to confirm, and in the resulting dialogue box select “Save” (all other fields are optional).
You can also enroll in ILT courses by logging into the WSU Online Learning System and searching for a specific course title. The following Virtual Guided Tours will help you find just what you are looking for:
Registration help and answers to other questions about these sessions are available by contacting 509-335-4521 or email@example.com
I’m a new employee, how do I enroll in training?
Note, however, that appointment approval sometimes occurs only after you have begun working. If you are not yet able to access your WSU Online Learning System account and wish to attend New Employee Orientation or another Instructor-Led Training session, please enroll in the session(s) you wish to attend (review the New Employee Orientation schedule).
Do I need approval to participate in training?
Employees must receive supervisory approval to attend live training (ILT) and/or to participate in online training during normal work hours. Review the polices in: Release Time for Training (BPPM 60.72) and Appropriate Use of Training Time.
How do I set up a videoconference connection for a training session if I am not located on the Pullman campus?
Human Resource Services collaborates with to make nearly all Instructor Led Training sessions available statewide through videoconferencing. Just check for “Videoconferencing” on the ILT Sessions Schedule.
If you wish to participate in a Videoconferenced training session, you must ensure your location will be connected to the session. To do so:
- Enroll in the session you wish to attendVisit the 25Live Videoconference Meeting Calendar and navigate to the session
- Review the originating and connecting site locations.
- If your location is listed, there is nothing more to be done.
- If your location is not listed, request a site connection through Videoconferencing Services via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I access my training records?
Log in to your WSU Online Learning System account
- Below the “Quick Links” heading near the top left of the page and select “Learning Transcript” from the menu.
- Select the “Show Filters” link to access ways to customize your view of the records. (Review the Learner Transcript Virtual Tour for more information.)
Please Note: The WSU Online Learning System contains training records from the year 2007 and forward. If you need records from before 2007, visit the SkillSoft historical records data site.
What is included in my training record?
Your training record includes all Instructor-Led Training you attend, as well as all online courses, simulations and books you access.
How do I print a certificate of completion for a training?
Log in to your WSU Online Learning System account:
- Select “Learning Transcript” from the “Quick Links” menu on the left.
- Select the “Actions” link to far right of a completed course. Click on “View Certificate.”
- Once the certificate is displayed, print as desired. (Review the Virtual Tour for more information.)
What is WSU’s policy on release time for training?
University supervisors may release employees from normal work duties to attend training programs which promote professional development or improve jobs skills.
- An employee may take any amount of supervisor-directed training.
- An eligible full-time employee may use up to 96 hours of release time per fiscal year for elective training purposes.
- An eligible part-time employee may use hours of release time prorated according to his or her FTE percentage, e.g., a 50% FTE employee would be eligible for 48 hours of release time.
- Prior to approving more than 20 hours of release time, a supervisor may ask the employee to submit a training plan outlining his or her development goals.
- More information on release time for training can be found in BPPM 60.72: Release Time for Training.
- HRS guidelines on Appropriate Use of Training Time
- If you have further questions, speak with your supervisor or contact your Human Resource Consultant.
How do I search for online books, courses, or other learning assets?
There are two main ways to find online content located in the Online Learning System
- Use the search function at the upper right corner of your account. You can filter the search by accessing the options in the “Select” drop-down list to the left of the search field.
- Select the “Browse the Library” link to activate a view of the learning resources categorized by topic. Choosing any one of these topics opens a new page featuring those specific resources and also including additional filtering options. (Browse the Library Virtual Tour.)
How can I learn more about the Online Learning System?
Two courses are periodically scheduled to help users learn more about the system:
- WSU Online Learning System: Overview: This Instructor-Led course describes the functions of WSU’s online learning resources system in a step-by-step format.
- WSU Online Learning System: Management Functions: This Instructor-Led course demonstrates the steps required to assign courses to employees and to manage reports of training activity within the department, area, or college.
If you are unable to find available sessions or if you would like to schedule a departmental overview for several people, you can request a training.
Tools and Help for Instructors
- WSU PowerPoint Templates
- When authoring presentations for your training sessions, it is important to keep in mind WSU Data Policies and Copyright Law.
- For help on editorial style — including help with capitalization, spelling, numbers and punctuation — refer to the WSU Editorial Style.
As a supervisor, can I access my employee’s training records?
Yes, access to employee training records is provided to designated training managers. To request this access, complete and return the Management Authorization Request Online Learning System to Human Resource Services.
Once your account has been modified to allow access, download the Online Learning System Manager Guide to learn the steps required. You may also wish to attend a periodically scheduled Instructor-Led Training course: WSU Online Learning System: Management Functions.
As a supervisor, how can I help my employees create a learning plan?
To help your employees create a learning plan you should:
- Determine what job duties within your department require special skills or university-specific knowledge.
- Evaluate your employee’s skills and compare them to your required skillset.
- Match the required skill-development with the courses offered through HRS Training. Ultimately, this comparison will lead you to identifying the courses appropriate for your employee’s training plan.
- Work with the employee to schedule training, taking into account both the employee’s schedule and departmental needs.